This is an interview that was conducted through twitter – hence the use of 140 characters or less in the answers and any grammatical errors. This is based on ‘Witter’ as published in the Sunday Times Magazine.
Lisa Gee of Pamper and Pose – who works jointly with Jude Gidney Photography. Facebook page
1. What is your business called and how did you come up with the name ? A.The two fields that make up my business are makeup and photography. Pamper and Pose just about covered it. It does what it says on the tin
2 .But you do more as a Make-up Artist than just Pamper and Pose Lisa – tell me more….A.I work with anyone who needs makeup so I do weddings and proms, plus a lot in the photo studio. Studio pamper parties are my favourite job.
3.I hear you’ve recently won an award – what was that for? A. I won a national makeover competition run by VIE at home cosmetics company, who I also happen to be a consultant for. I won £250 of goodies!
4.Sounds good. What did you have to do to win the award? A.I had to submit a photo of a makeover I had done. I ended up submitting a photograph I had taken of myself! So I was doubly proud to win.
5.What is unique about your business? A.I think where I differ is that I am also an occasional photographer, so I have a natural eye for how makeup is going to look on camera.
6. Have you always worked as a Make-Up Artist? A.No. I used to be a journalist and press officer. I became a VIE consultant after my son was born and that led to me retraining as a MUA
7.I hear you rubbed shoulders with quite a few celebrities in those days...A.Ha ha, yes. Quite a few. Quite a lot of musicians, a few actors but mostly politicians. The odd member of Take That 😉
8. Come on, name some names please A.Probably the most surreal one was having lunch with Alexei Sayle in the House of Lords. He was surprisingly shy and modest.But my favourite story is being serenaded by Gary Barlow at the piano in the Rovers Return. One of those ‘pinch me’ moments.
9.You received a special card from someone too…A. It was a birthday card from Rolf Harris with a Rolfaroo drawn on it. I was working at the RSPCA on Animal Hospital at the time.
10. You’ve also got a pretty good ear for music – tell me more.A.I was born obsessed with music, I got it from my Dad. I trained as a violinist and later ended up writing a music page for the Oldham Chron.
11.Has your recent work involved you making-up any celebrities? A.Just the odd TV bit part actress. Nobody exciting, but give me time! 😀
12. And one last question – where do you see yourself in 10yrs time with the business? A. I’d love to have premises that house a photo studio, a makeup salon and a very glamorous pamper party space. Parties every day of the week!
Anything else you’d like to add Lisa? Just to say if your readers like a bit of old school glamour they should keep an eye out for an exciting new Gidney/Gee project. Hush hush!
Thank you Lisa for your time.